Dialogue with Social activist and Civil Society Organization Event Date: 13-05-2018
Bundelkhand, the heart of India, is starved of life-sustaining water and food for humans and for livestock. According to the 2011 Census, there are 18.3 million people living in the 13 districts that make up this region spread across Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. But given the alarming rate at which people have been fleeing the region, the population here has likely dwindled by a few million. Migration has increased to about 60-65 per cent, against 30-40 per cent in previous years. Locked homes are a common sight in most villages.
As we all aware that water scarcity is increasing day by day in entire nation, use of agriculture land is replacing for non agriculture works. Beside it, number of landless population is increasing rapidly. Even after passing land reform bill, it is not being enact effectively. Jal-Jan Jodo Abhiyan and Ekta Parisad jointly campaigning to ensure land and water right in entire nation. In the last few days before on 7-9th April 2018, leaders of both movements get to gather with civil society organization, farmer’s leader, social activist, scientist, journalist and youth and prepare a strategy for Jan Andolan 2018. It was mutually decided that 5 unified meetings will be conducted by Ekta Parisad and Jal-Jan Jodo Abhiyan to Mobilize & Organize civil society organization, farmer’s organization, youth and women. Under which , first unified meeting was organized at Satar (Chandrashekhar Park) in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh on 13-14 May 2018.
In this occasion, Stockholm Water prize winner Water Man Rajendra Singh stated that “Jai Jagat” wants goodness for human, which also indicate auspicious for larger mass especially poor, marginal, untouchable, landless, farmers, SC/ST while globalization and liberalization works for coorporates. He further said that only 1 percent population is controlling over 70% water, natural resources, land and economy, which is promoting social and natural exploitation. He said that human cannot control over natural resource rather it is part of creation. Today, large section of society are facing the problem of pollution, encroachment, water contamination, climate change due to over exploitation of natural resource, rivers, water. Farmers and new generations from rural area are compelled to migrate and leave their agriculture work due to successive drought and famine; there is essential and hasty need to save them.
In this occasion, very prominent Gandhian and founder of Ekta Parisad Rajgopal said that situation of drought and famine has been arisen due to poor government policies. Society must took responsibility to bring the government on right track. While addressing the youths and representatives of various CSOs, he explained about tools to stand public movement by involving small organizations and said that we can make our movement successful by making strong planning from micro to macro level.
National president of Ekta Parisad, Ran Singh parmar addressed to social activist and said farmers, labor, women, deprived section of society are living under worse condition due to poor implementation and exploitative tendency of government policies. To address this situation we need to initiate dialogue and make strong strategy for stand intensive movement.
On this occasion, National Convener of Jal-Jan Jodo Abhiyan Sanjay Singh said that at present scenario strong atmosphere of frustration has been pervaded among farmer, labor and youths of Nation. There is huge confusion among society by current model of development. Natural resources especially Water, Land and forest are being sold to corporate, which need to conserve immediately. External forces are trying to suppress the voice of social movements. Acute water crisis become major challenge before us.
Various other speakers like Zil, Dr. Sk. Rai, Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Dr. Nayim, Amit Tripathi, Arving Singh, Vasudev Goswami, Ajay Srivastava, Santosh, Baliram Ramprakash Bhai, Shriddha, Manish Singh also addressed to participants. In this meeting, more than 200 social activist from Bundelkhand, Baghelkhand, Chambal, Sagar, Gwalior region were present. It was mutually decided that public awareness rally will be organize in drought effected area of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh and strategy of Yatra was also prepared. The programme was moderated by Dr. Sanjay Singh and thanks note was given by Amit Tripathy.
14th May 2018
On the second day of programme, Water Man Rajendra Singh said that day by day situation of poor and deprived community is going worse; they do not have any employment to fulfill their basic needs even not getting benefit of social security schemes. Government is only recreating to youths with huge expectations, which are being still not fulfilled.
Municipality chair person of Talbehat Mrs. Mukta Soni said that Bundelkhand is one of the most backward regions of India, which is under severe drought and famine. To cope with water scarcity we all need to work with integrated approach. She further explained about water conservation work done in Talbehat block. In this occasion youth social activist Amit Tripathi said that it is right time to provide platform to youths, their participation at the level of village, panchayat need to be increase. Youths are diverted in multiple dimensions, we need to work on to bring them on common platform and also need to build their understanding and make them aware about Water, Land and forest issue.
Ramesh Dwivedi senior social activist said that similar kind of movement like JP movement need to come in force by viewing current scenario. Jai Prakash bring youth on front and developed the leadership skills among youths.
On the 2nd day of programme, all speakers to deal with all issues by doing integrated efforts as well as elevated to strengthen the power of village panchayats. On the second half of day two, representatives from different civil society organization presented the problems from their regions. After deep discussion over famine and drought issue, conclusion was emerge that successful models will be expand in entire nation which worked towards drought mitigation and these efforts will be replicate by the active participation of society and government together to conserve each drop of rain water. To make nation drought and famine free, 16 resolutions were passed after mutual consent, which is explained below:
1. To make people aware about water conservation through Mass Awareness Yatra
2. By involving Panchayat and municipality , water reservoirs will be conserve and renovate
3. To ensure the effective implementation of passed orders by honorable Supreme Court to make national drought and famine free, collective memorandum will be give to state government and administrative officers.
4. Grassroot organization need to strengthen for effective implementation of work towards conservation of natural resource.
5. There is essential need to identify and recognize the alternative politics
6. Youths are diverted and strayed in wrong directions, they all need to bring together and motivate to build a youth movement.
7. Abduction of rights are visible among larger society, they are not able to access and protect their natural resource as corporate houses are commanding over them.
8. People need to be educated towards their natural resource and values.
9. Change can be only made by strengthening the power of movement and bring such kind of movement by doing efforts at micro to macro level.
10. Accountability of public representative need to ensure to proper implementation of promised made in manifesto. People movement need to work as watchdog.
11. Instead of fulfill the political need by demanding “Bundelkhand” as separate state rather than initiative need to take towards strengthening of youth organizations who are keen to protect their natural resource and raise voice of community right and entitlement.
12. By keeping “Water, Land and Forest” Issue on centre, people agenda need to set and organize.
13. Panchayat and Gram Sabha need to make more accountable and transparent.
14. Atmosphere of change need to emerge by mobilize the youths in Bundelkhand.
15. Political understanding need to build among identify youths.
16. Currents arena is to provide chance to youth.
In the last session of day 2, action plan was sketch:
- People awareness yatra will be organize in 3 phases
- Muraina to Gwalior (Chambal Region) from 21-30 May 2018 and responsibility was taken by Mr. Ram Datta
- Chitrakoot to Lalitpur (UP Bundelkhand) from 21-29 May 2018 and responsibility was taken by Amt Tripathi
- Panna to Damoh (MP Bundelkhand) from 21-29 May 2018- Chitrakoot to Lalitpur (UP Bundelkhand) from 21-29 May 2018 and responsibility was taken by Sanjay Singh, Afsar Jahan, Anubha, Pawan Rajawat and Santosh Singh
- Shrimdaan Camps to protect the natural resource will organize in Shivpuri, Sagar, Sehdol, Damoh and Jhabua.
- 10 billion signature campaign will be organize
- Total 2000 local cadre from Bundelkhand UP will join the Jan Andolan 2018 at Palwal
- Social media campaigning will be lead by youths of Jhansi